The cemetery on Deane Road is the property and responsibility of the Liverpool Old Hebrew Congregation (LOHC). In 1835, a site on Deane Street in the Kensington district was purchased as a formal burial ground (it would not become Deane Road until 1865). A huge, ornate archway was built to serve as its entrance, made of brick and rendered in stucco and stone, in the Greek revival style. The archway remains to this day, now as a Grade II listed structure. In front of this was an impressive driveway, with a small stone wall and cast iron railings with spear heads (also now listed). The cemetery was consecrated and the first burials there occurred in September 1837, continuing on a regular basis until 1904.
For comprehensive details about Deane Road Cemetery go to the History section on this site
For more details on the sources of information on the number and names of those interred at Deane Road, go to the Register section of this site.
To learn more about the location of Deane Road Cemetery in Kensington, Liverpool and how the suburb grew around it, please look at our Maps section.
Please also read Saul Marks’ splendid essay (for which he was awarded a distinction): Birth of a Cemetery: The Story of Deane Road